Friday 2 June 2017

Photographing the 1880's

There is something about the 1880's that appeals to me. It has a sense of being on the cusp of the modern world but still very much in the old world. I think I find Victorian times so interesting because it has quite a lot in common with our time. We are also going through a time of fast technological changes, mass migrations and new ideas that seem to shake up things we thought we knew. It has also sometimes been said that we only live at the end of the era that started with the late Victorians, and that I find incredibly fascinating.

So to try to capture this favourite period of mine I have, for quite some time now, dressed up and photographed people close to me. It has become a collection not just of art or history but also of life it self. Because although the world I've constructed is somewhat imaginary..the people in the pictures are or were once all people that played an important part in my life. They are not random.

I think I will start from the end. And the beginning.

The latest pictures are, aside from one addition, actually people I had in my very first pictures. I found the contrast quite interesting. We have all changed as much as mu photoshop skills in the last 10 years!


Aside from how much I have clearly learned throughout these years about both the 19th century and grain filters, I can't help but think of how much has happened to us all between those pictures. In 2006 we were only almost adults in one small flat living on noodles and I made sets out of doll furniture and old books.. 11 years later we are in 3 different countries, have houses and careers and children. We fell out and back in again. Some of us went to America. Some slept in the desert. Some of us got married. Most of us lost our way at some point. But we do still live on noodles sometimes. There were places this life took us to that we could have never imagined. 10 years is a long time. Looking at these pictures makes me glad that after everything we are all still alive and we all still know each other.
 I hope I'll be able to say the same 10 years from now.


 And last but not least, possibly the most important addition of all. 
Our very own Artful Dodger. 



No comments:

Post a Comment