Tuesday 13 June 2017

Photographing the 1880's. Life inbetween

It had been over a decade since the first and the latest off my Victorian pictures. A lot of things have happened in between those days. I'm glad to have captured the people that has passed through my life. 




In 2007 and 2008 I was pretty busy creating a baby so the pictures were left behind. I did persuade a few people to let me capture them though. Most memorable of these I think is the first appearance of my son in the 2008 art nouveau style one. I remember dressing up my 4 month old in a vintage baby cap and a white shirt and photographing him in a box. Part of me thinks his early start may have contributed to him being such an excellent model now, over 8 years later.


In 2010 I made an attempt to simplify my photos. I focused more on creating the right environment and be a little more..casual. By now I had some photographic help from my Victorian partner in crime and one of my favourite creative collaborator, Amanda. I had the fortune at this point to be living in one of my favourite houses in the town where I grew up, a turn of the century wooden house and much of the inspiration came from the house it self.



 Before I packed up and immigrated I wanted to have some recollection of my last time in Scandinavia. My mother in law asked me to make her a costume and I got to take some pictures as well. But mostly it was me, my son and Amanda playing around in the sunny April afternoons. Little did we know it would be the last ones.


During these 10 years one person was born and another person has died. In 2016 when I picked up my camera again it was in her memory I decided to continue. She died in early February from aggressive leukaemia and with that she closed this 10 year chapter of mine. I felt like the least I could do was to finish what I started so when I found the empty second hand album I had always put it off for I decided it was time. By the end of August 2016 I once again moved away and the album ended with the people who had been there with me while I cried over her last words. 

The very last picture was, of course, of her. 


For my beloved soul-sister Amanda. Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment